Monday, November 8, 2010

Fiber Festival at the BIG E

It was a wow Festival!  Great job to the folks at the Big E in Springfield, Massachusettes. 

NELG was invited to have a gratis booth at the two-day show.  Thanks to our members and Jill's coordination with them, we staffed it  with demonstrators.  Extra thanks to Jill for the creating and printing of the new NELG banner.  (I need a better camera and remember to take pictures!)

I was there for the Sunday show. Since I did not change my clocks the night before, I was there an hour early!  I did appreicate the extra hour of sleep today.

There were lots of vendors with all sorts of roving and yarns and assorted items.  What was different here, is that the farms brought their critters so we had lots of sheep, alpacas, bunnies and goats in the north side of the building.  Once I figure out how to do sound here, I'll do a the alpaca humming I learned or maybe not.

Our booth was busy - lots of folks stopping by and wondering about what we were doing.  There was only a few exclaimations of  "oh that's tatting".  I had a simple Bruge lace pattern on my pillow and a try-me snake pillow.  Bryce had her beautiful Swedish pattern, Barbara K. brought ancient lace on her pillows and our newer member, Linda showed folks about tatting! 

We handed out our brochure, talked about the advantages of membership in the group.  I must say - without really any coordination among us, we were working great together with enough variety to show visitors what lace is about.  About half way through, we noticed that none of us had any English on a pillow and missed out showing spangled bobbins.

I'm looking forward to next year already - so mark your calendar - 1st weekend in November!

No comments: