Friday, September 24, 2010

Demo at the Big E

It was Connecticut Day at the Big E and according the staff, one of the largest attendance days.  Go CT!

I choose the day as it's in the middle of the week, and I like to see the parade.  There are lots of CT related high school bands, the Governor and her Foot Guard, the State Police, fife and drum and lots of others.  The end of the parade was the Budweiser Clydesdales and the Hallamore Clydesdales each with a eight-horse hitch.   So amazing the size and strength of these gentle giants.

In the morning, traffic was bruttle and took me almost 90 minutes to go 34 miles!  Gate 1 is where the one day volunteers, vendors, and performers get to park.  It is so nice, it is right next to the back gate making it easy to bring in my lace making gear.

The New England Building / Creative Arts is where we get to set up.  Actually we don't really have a space, we set up in the aisle. It would be nice if we had a 'real' space we could set up in (hmm idea for next year).  Linda (fellow lacemaker) met me there and we set up our space so the patrons of the fair could learn about lace.  I met Linda at the fair last year and helped her rekindle her love for lace making.

Before you know it, the building opens with a raising of the flag, accompanied by a group of fife and drum musicians.  It is fun to watch the patrons go by, some are outright curious and come up and declare that I'm tatting (lol) and others are too shy unless you invite them over to see what we are doing. Time goes so quickly, some where around three and a half hours into it, I could feel my voice getting scratchy.  We handed out lots of NELG flyers to interested folks and may come up we a few more members!

I must say - it was a successful day.  Many for folks learned a little more about bobbin lace.

No comments: